How do I send an e-prescription?
There are many ways to send a prescription:
- Inputting manually, one at a time, shown below.
- From favorites, one at a time.
- By renewing one or more than one at a time.
See below for a step-by-step guide or watch a webinar about the essentials of e-prescribing and e-labs in Luminello:
Manually creating a prescription
1. Go to the chart's "Rx" section, and click on "Send E-rx."
2. Click "New Rx."
3. Enter the first letters of the medication you wish to prescribe in the search field. Select the drug you wish to use from the pick list, or run the search to display the full results.
4. Select the desired strength to launch the "Prescribe Medication" area.
5. Fill in the required fields (marked by a red asterisk) in the "Prescribe Medication" section. If you have prescribed the same medication in the past, you will notice that the sig fields are pre-populated as per your previous settings. If this is the first time you prescribe this medication, you'll have to enter new sig details.
Below is a description of all fields within the screen. To see the fastest way to enter the info, read this.
- "Patient Observation" (Height and Weight) shows the patient/client's height and weight if they were recently observed. These values may be entered or edited on the screen.
- Verify that you have selected a "Provider" and "Pharmacy" from the drop-downs.
- Verify that the medication you have chosen is correct. Use the drop‐down to change the strength.
- Select the appropriate values from the drop‐down menus for the "Sig" details. The following are required:
- Patient Directions:
6. Scroll down to click on "Review" to proceed to the "Review Prescription" screen.
7. To send the prescription, type in your signature password, and click one of the four buttons on the bottom of the screen to transmit the prescription.
- Send: Transmits the prescription to the pharmacy electronically.
- Send & Print: Transmits the prescription to the pharmacy electronically and print out a watermarked (non‐legal) copy of the prescription for your records.
- Print don't Send: Prints the prescription without sending it to the pharmacy. This option may be used if the patient/client is unsure which pharmacy he or she would like to use. This is required for controlled substance prescriptions in some states.
- Sign don't Send: Signs the medication and adds the medication to the patient's/client's active medication list, but does not send a prescription to the pharmacy. This is useful if the patient/client was given a sample.
8. If you are sending a controlled substance, you will be prompted to enter your EPCS passphrase and token. Make sure to check the box next to each controlled substance you wish to send. If you can't enter your EPCS passphrase, double check to make sure you have checked at least one box.
If you have any questions, please contact us.