Dr First known issues and feature requests
The following are a list of known issues that have been reported - we have asked DrFirst to address these and will post updates here if/when they do:
- Displaying medications by default alphabetically instead of chronologically.
- Displaying pending medications by default in "Prescription Management" instead of all medications.
- At times, active rx not showing in active meds. But see here for reasons why this might be happening.
- High number of rx notifications/warnings. Some of these can be adjusted in your settings.
- Charts>E-rx notifications>Report showing "You are attempting to navigate to Prescription Report view when it is suppressed. Please contact support."
- DrFirst getting stuck on username/password, even though the patient e-rx info has loaded.
- "Signature required" alert not showing in some patient's charts or in Charts>E-rx notifications.
- Mobile prescribing not being user-friendly; iPrescribe needing a password every time upon login. We've asked them to implement a PIN.
- Clicking on an e-prior authorization request, only to see "ePA task is not available"
- Prescription coupon not appearing. Note: This is typically not necessary to print out, as the necessary codes for the pharmacist are usually automatically inserted into the comments.
- PDMP connection set-up, but not returning data. If you experience this, please contact us with a chart ID and we will let DrFirst know.
- Multiple locations: not being able to see pending prescriptions from multiple locations at once. DrFirst has told us this is a Surescripts issue.
- SMS alerts to patient showing prescriber's name. Because we believe this could be construed as a HIPAA violation, we do not support this, and our BAA does not apply to this, unless you have explicit patient informed consent to receiving unencrypted communications from you.