How do I create and send an e-prescription?
There are many ways to send a prescription:
- Inputting manually, one at a time, shown below.
- From favorites, one at a time.
- By renewing one or more than one at a time.
See below for a step-by-step guide or watch a webinar about the essentials of e-prescribing and e-labs in Luminello:
Manually creating a prescription
1. You can use the "Shortcuts" menu by selecting the chart and clicking on "Send an e-prescription" from the "Go to..." drop-down.
- Go to the "Rx" section within a chart, and toggle to "Send E-rx."
- Click "New Rx."
- Enter the first letters of the medication you wish to prescribe in the search field. Select the drug you wish to use from the pick list, or run the search to display the full results.
- Select the desired strength to launch the "Prescribe Medication" area.
5. Fill in the required fields (marked by a red asterisk) in the "Prescribe Medication" section. If you have prescribed the same medication in the past, you will notice that the sig fields are pre-populated as per your previous settings. If this is the first time you prescribe this medication, you'll have to enter new sig details.
Below is a description of all fields within the screen. To see the fastest way to enter the info, read this.
- "Patient Observation" (Height and Weight) shows the patient/client's height and weight if they were recently observed. These values may be entered or edited on the screen.
- Verify that you have selected a "Provider" and "Pharmacy" from the drop-downs.
- Verify that the medication you have chosen is correct. Use the drop‐down next to the strength to update it if you need to.
- Select the appropriate values from the drop‐down menus for the "Sig" details. The following are required:
- Patient Directions:
- Dose Unit
- Days Supply: This option will select the "Quantity" and "Unit" which are pulled from "Patient Directions" section.
- Patient Directions:
6. If you want to change the pharmacy, you can do so by clicking on the "Pharmacy" drop-down to switch between your most used pharmacies, or click on "Browse Pharmacy" to run a search.
- Scroll down to click on "Review."
- In the “Review Prescription” area, you can review the prescription details, scroll down to click on:
- Save Pending Rx: If you wish to send this prescription.
- Save and Add Rx: If you wish to save it and continue working on another prescription.
- If you click on “Save Pending Rx” you will be directed to the “Prescription Management” area where you will need to enter your “Signature Password.” After entering the password, you will have the following options:
- Send: This option electronically transmits the prescription to the pharmacy.
- Send & Print: This option electronically transmits the prescription to the pharmacy and provides a watermarked (non-legal) copy of the prescription for your records.
- Print don't Send: This option prints the prescription without sending it to the pharmacy. It can be useful if the patient/client is unsure about which pharmacy to use. Note that for controlled substance prescriptions in certain states, this option is required.
- Sign don't Send: This option signs the medication and adds it to the patient's/client's active medication list, but does not send a prescription to the pharmacy. It can be helpful when the patient/client has been given a sample medication.
- If you are sending a controlled substance, you will be prompted to enter your EPCS passphrase and Token. Make sure to check the box next to each controlled substance you wish to send.
If you have any questions, please contact us.